Saturday, April 3, 2010

Day 2.2: Winds of Change

I wanted to add a quick little note in here concerning my post, "Forecast-cloudy." to say that I'm not usually this hot headed, but that the opposition to the idea that I've faced so far has been insulting in a lot of cases. Parents make difficult decisions every single day and are constantly put under a microscope by friends, relatives, peers and perfect strangers. But here are a few things that I've learned (in some cases for a second time):

People fear what they do not know. An uneducated atheist is more scared of an educated religious person is of them.

Perception is only as deep as the amount of light, i.e. knowledge, you let in. If your view is a very small and shallowed experience, it's highly unlikely that you're going to know better than anyone else.

There is more than one way to skin a cat. By the time schooling is an issue, we have already had to choose something over what someone called the only or superior way of doing it for our own reasons, sane or insane, and for example; stopping breast feeding at month 7 as opposed to month 8 had absolutely no bearing on Logan's development, which is not the case according to La Leche.

What is good for the goose may not be good for the gander. In other words, our decisions, based on our experiences are in no way/shape/form/or fashion a reflection on you or your decisions. I hate dealing with the public school system but I am not asking for you to hate it with me. I do not think that your child, no matter how good or how bad they are doing in school is somehow inferior to mine because of what school they go to. I am not making my decision based on any opinions of your parenting choices. While I may ask for your opinion on the idea, I am not asking you to cleave your beliefs to mine because you perceive that I think my opinion is better. Absolutely not, that is unfair on both sides.

So that's it, I'm done defending for now and hopefully for a long time. If I don't let this storm clear, I'll never get beyond it and do what I set out to. Hoping that day three I can really start putting together a program -if I have any other homeschool readers out there, what programs do you like the most? Secular curricula preferred.

No comments:

Post a Comment