Thursday, April 8, 2010

Day 7.2: Nouns in a box

Ding-Dong!  Barnes and Noble calling!  My order of Saxon Math and First Language Lessons of the Well Trained Mind came today!  Sooo excited!

My first initial thoughts on Saxon Math: what a lot of material!  The teachers manual that came with the kit is bigger than my Complete Works of W. Shakespeare!  It took me a moment, but I realized that all the workbooks and laid out lesson plans were contained in this behemouth.  It looks like it's going to be a really good course, although I have a feeling we're going to be blowing right through it.  I'm a little disheartened, because it seems like there is good amount in it that has already been covered with him in kindergarten so I'm sure I'll need to find a way to supplement.  We'll see once I dive into planning the lessons.

I am really liking the Well Trained Mind level 1 and 2, just their philosphy that just because a child can't read, doesn't mean they shouldn't be exposed to good literature -(which I doubt Pat's Hat, a decodeable reader qualifies and I'm not saying decodeables don't have their place but great works they are not) and that the focus is on implementing grammar, spelling and comprehension even if they haven't learned how to write.

So, thumbing through WTM, we settled in on the section about nouns and I told Logan what a noun is (a person, place, thing or idea) and so we started listing off words and deciding if they were nouns or not.  All this while he was pretending the box these new materials came in was his own personal imagination transporter.... I think it was a car, a ship, a box and a rocket at least five times over. 

I wonder if he gets to learn about grammar at school while having this much fun?

Loganism for the evening - 2 plus x equals 5 so x equals 3.  Yes, we understand algebra.  Is this kid too cool for school or what? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment